Blackberry Barbecue Sauce
I went blackberry picking this weekend – There are so many things to do with these sweet berries -here’s one of our favorites. It’s great on chicken – delicious on fish – and wait until you taste it on RIBS!!
Blackberry BBQ Sauce? Yep – And here is how you do it!
What you need:
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup of chopped sweet onion (like the local walla walla – or a spanish sweet)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh blackberries
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3/4 teaspoon hot paprika
Add the berries and simmer until they are soft and crush easily with the back of a spoon.
Remove from heat and puree in a blender with the water and vinegar. When thoroughly blended, pour into a sieve or mesh strainer and push through, straining out as many seeds as possible. What is left will burn off when it’s cooked.
Return the puree to the pan and simmer with the salt, pepper, liquid smoke and paprika. Simmer until the flavors are blended, about 10 minutes. Store in an airtight container for about a week.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups –
© Copyright 2017 The Lazy Gastronome