Crock Pot Beef & Bean Soup and Bacon Cheese Biscuits
I don’t know about you, but I did a lot of cooking on Thanksgiving. We have some left overs, but we asked all of our guests to make themselves a “doggy bag”, so we aren’t overflowing with food we won’t eat. And for dinner tonight, I simply don’t want to cook.
So in comes the crock pot and refrigerator biscuits!
What you need:
- ½ package (about 1 ½ cups) of fifteen bean soup (dry mix – save the seasoning for another time)
- 3/4 to 1 pound of beef shanks
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 cups of beef broth
- 1 teaspoon crushed, dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 can refrigerator biscuits
- ½ stick of butter
- 2 Tablespoons cheez whiz cheese spread
- ¼ cup bacon bits (the real kind)
How to Do it:
Place all of the soup ingredients into a crock pot and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Stir it up and serve with the biscuits –
To make the biscuits, melt the butter and cheez whiz together in a glass cup. Open a package of refrigerator biscuits and put them in a shallow pan (I used a deep dish pizza pan). Brush the butter mixture over the top of each biscuit, using all of it. Spread the bacon evenly over the top of each biscuit.
Bake according to the package instructions. Serve hot with the soup.
Serves about six
© Copyright 2017 The Lazy Gastronome