It’s been a cold winter and it doesn’t seem to be over yet! What’s better on a cold night than a big bowl of hearty, hot soup! Here’s one that will make your mouth and your tummy happy!
What you need:
- 3 Quarts of chicken broth (I prefer a low sodium broth)
- 1 large onion coarsely chopped
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 3 smoked pork shanks (or ham hocks)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies (14.5 oz.)
- ½ can water
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 cup chopped yellow and orange sweet bell peppers
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Sour cream and avocado for garnish
How to Do it:
Add the broth, onion and shanks to a large kettle. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to very low, cover, and simmer until the beans are tender – about 4 hours.
Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook for another 45 minutes to an hour, or until the meat falls off the bones and the beans are very tender.
Garnish with sour cream and avocado – serve hot!
Makes about 6 main course servings
© Copyright 2017 The Lazy Gastronome
This recipes was shared at Saucy Saturdays